Cabbage Decoy Butterfly…

One of the bigger problems we had in Portugal when we tried to grow broccoli and cauliflower were the Cabbage white butterflies, which basicaly land on the green leaves of the cabbages and drop million eggs, which then hatch worms that feed on the cabbage leaves, ruining the crop.

cabbage-white-butterflySince we don’t plan on using pesticides on our crops, we are always trying new techniques, which was when we found this thing, on thingiverse.com.

What happens is that apparently cabbage white butterflies are antisocial when they’re laying their eggs, so the idea is to print on our 3D printer some decoy white butterflies, and plant them around the garden close to the cabbages.

decoy1So we printed three of these bad boys on white PLA, and followed the suggestions of the guy that made them on thingiverse.

decoy5We bended the butterfly a little on the middle…

decoy6We then added two small black dots and a scratch to simulate the body…

decoy8Using some leftover orange PLA we made the support…

decoy7Ready to go into place…

So after all the process of “building” the decoys, the only thing left was to place the decoys on the SFG and see if it works.

decoy9Eventually we are going to have to replace the stands with bigger ones, since the cabbage will grow and cover the butterflies. But so far it seems that is working, we have no signs of eggs, or white butterflies wondering around our crops.

Guess only time will tell, but from what we read of other people, it actually works… We’ll keep you posted.

Novas peças para a Impressora…

Chegaram mais umas peças para a nossa impressora.

20Os motores…

19A Hotbed…

18A fonte de alimentação e um bocado de PLA de oferta…

16As correias para o eixo X e Y…

15A Hotend…

17E finalmente… o Cerebro da coisa 🙂

Claro que estivemos até as tantas a montar ja algumas destas peças e a verificar que há outras que vão dar um pouco mais de trabalho, como por exemplo ficamos a saber que a hotend que temos é demasiado pequena e por isso com o suporte para o extruder que temos, nao chega sequer a base :(.

Mas apos uns mails trocados com o Nuno, que ja tinha passado pelo mesmo problema, chegámos a conclusão que precisava de um “adaptador” para este tipo de hotend. O adaptador é este:

Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 2.49.29 PM

Printrbot Hotend Adapter v2.0

Surgiu então uma daquelas situações de galinha e do ovo.

Ora bem eu preciso de uma peca para começar a imprimir mas preciso de imprimir essa peça.

Mas, alguns mais depois… Existe uma empresa em dublin – LayerLabs que basta mandar para la o .stl que eles nos dão um preço de impressão. E tal nao foi a nossa surpresa quando apenas 1 hora depois recebemos um email a dizer que já tinham impresso a peça e que no espirito do Reprap, a impressão era oferta. Temos que admirar esta comunidade 🙂 amanha já nos vamos encontrar com o responsável que nos vem trazer a peça quase aqui a porta do trabalho. Apenas temos uma palavra. AMAZING! Ficámos no entanto de angariar pessoas para fazer like na pagina dele no Facebook, por isso vá, façam nos lá esse favor 🙂

E eles tambem vão fazer um workshop 3D no final de Setembro, por isso se quiserem dar um pulinho a Dublin para comparecer, avisem.

E estamos de volta à construção da nossa impressora e claro que em breve teremos mais noticias 🙂

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...